Thursday, December 4, 2008

28 Hours of Killing Time - December 2-3, 2008

I was staying over at my friend Nelson's place since he was kind enough to give me a ride to Newark International Airport. Somehow I slept through my cellphone alarm clock but luckily Nelson gave me a nudge to wake up....at 5:15am! I had a 7:20am fight so I half conciously made my way into the car and to the terminal with 30 minutes to spare which turned into 60 minutes to spare because of delays.

As I was going through security the security guard looked at my intenerary and said "You sure got a long day ahead of you buddy!" I replied "Yeah, 28 hours what the hell I am I gonna do, I cant even sleep that long!" He laughed, "Well you can always drink!" Not a bad idea i pondered.

Here is my interary breakdown: a total of 28 hours travel time (4-hours in layovers), 3 crappy airplane meals, 3 different flights, 2 trips to the bathroom, 3 crappy movies:

United 0819
Depart: EWR (Newark) 7:21 AMArrive: ORD (Chicago) 9:04 AM
Non-stop 2h 43m 320 - 719 miles traveled


Notes: I ended up sleeping most of the flight. 3 hour layover in Chicago. It looked like it snowed the night before. In my terminal there were 3 Starbucks for some reason. By the time it decided I wanted to get breakfast it was past 10am and I couldnt order the Big Breakfast from Mcds :(.

<<<>>>

United 0881
Depart: ORD (Chicago) 12:00 PMArrive: NRT (Tokyo) 4:05 PM (Arrives next day Dec 3)
Non-stop 13h 5m 744 6,274 miles traveled


Notes: My Mp3 player ran out of batteries right before take off! Damn! I should have charged it the night before! I must have slept 5 different times during this flight. I sat through three movies, Journey To The Center of Earth (I was asleep), Sisterhood of Traveling Pants 2 (I did not watch it, nor did I want to), Bottle Shock (some movie about wine)...all boring! One hour layover in Tokyo where I met up with my sister and my dad for the last leg of the flight.

<<<>>>

United 0803
Depart: NRT (Tokyo) 5:55 PM Arrive: SIN (Singapore) 12:25 AM Arrives next dayDec 4
Non-stop 7h 30m 777 3,324 miles traveled


Notes: Pretty much slept and played NDS with my sister for a little bit next thing you know I was in Singapore.

We took a cab from the airport to the Interncontiental Hotel in Singapore after 1am. The cool thing is at the airport they have people working there to help you get a cab so you don't need to stand outside jumping and waving like a crazy person hailing a cab. Got to the hotel room and TRIED to sleep...thank you jet lag!

1 comment:

Athenahoya said...

I see you made good use of the 28 hrs!